RANDOM FACTS THAT YOU WON’T BELIEVE ARE TRUE
1. Giant Pandas eat approximately 28 pounds of bamboo a day – that’s over 5 tons per year!
2. Cats are not able to taste anything that is sweet.
3. You fart on average 14 times a day, and each fart travels from your body at 7 mph.
4. One of the ingredients needed to make dynamite is peanuts.
5. The largest living organism in the world is a fungus. It is in Oregon, covering 2,200 acres and is still growing.
6. Kangaroos can not walk backwards.
7. A horse’s canter is a 3-beat gait. On the second beat, opposite front and rear legs hit the ground at the same time. After the third beat is a “rest”, or suspension, when all three legs are off the ground.
8. The shortest war in history lasted for only 38 minutes.
9. Sea Lions have rhythm. They are the only animal able to clap to a beat.
10. While you sleep you can’t smell anything – even really, really bad or potent smells.
11. Some tumors can grow hair, teeth, bones, even fingernails.
12. Your brain uses 10 watts of energy to think and does not feel pain.
13. Glass balls can bounce higher than rubber ones.
14.The smallest country in the world takes up .2 square miles: Vatican City.
15. Hippopotamus milk is pink.
16. Our fingernails grow faster when you are cold.
17. Applesauce was the first food eaten in space by astronauts.
18. Snails take the longest naps with some lasting as long as three years.
19. The average person spends two weeks of their life waiting at traffic lights.
20. Before 1913 parents could mail their kids to Grandma’s – through the postal service.
21. Don’t like mosquitoes? Get a bat. They could eat 3,000 insects a night.
22. A typical cough is 60 mph while a sneeze is often faster than 100 mph.
23. Some fish cough. Really.
24. Are you terrified that a duck is watching you? Some people are. That is anatidaephobia.
25. American Black bears are not just black but include bears of varying colors including blonde, cinnamon, brown, white and even silver-blue.
26. Because of the 4 stages of the Water Cycle – Evaporation, Condensation, Precipitation and Collection – water falling as rain today may have previously fallen as rain days, weeks, months or years before.
27. Goats have rectangular pupils in their eyes.
28. There are 31,556,926 seconds in a year.
29. Cans of diet soda will float in water but regular soda cans will sink.
30. Birds can not live in space – they need gravity to be able to swallow.
31. Some perfumes actually have whale poo in them.
32. Your feet typically produce a pint of sweat every single day.
33. The snow on Venus is metal.
34. Baby koalas are fed poo by their parents after they are born which helps them digest Eucalyptus leaves later in life.
35. Many mammals, including cats and dogs, walk on their toes in contrast to humans, who walk on the soles of their feet.
36. 20% of all the oxygen you breathe is used by your brain.
37. You can cut a pie into 8 pieces with only three cuts.
38. If a Donkey and a Zebra have a baby, it is called a Zonkey.
39. The most difficult-to-pronounce town is in Wales: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll llantysiliogogogoch.
40. A tsunami can travel as fast as a jet plane.
41. There is a 50% chance that in a group of 23 people, two will share the same birthday. In a group of 367 people, it is a 100% chance. But only 70 people are required for a 99.9% chance.
42. All babies are born with blue eyes.
43. When you look at a bright sky and see white dots, you are looking at your blood. Those are white blood cells.
44. Your small intestine is the largest internal organ in your body.
45. Love carrots? Don’t eat too many or you will turn orange.
46. Cows can walk up stairs but not down them.
47. Tiger shark embryos begin attacking each other in their mother’s womb before they are even born.
48. The surface of Mars is covered in rust, making the planet appear red.
49. A FULL NASA SPACE SUIT COSTS $12,000,000.
50. THERE ARE MORE TREES ON EARTH THAN STARS IN THE MILKY WAY.